My deed is to make seven promises to my four-month old daughter Venusina and keep to them…
My Seven Promises to Venusina
1. I promise when you are a baby to dress you in all the colours of the rainbow not just pink and pastel.
2. I promise to help you celebrate and make you happy about becoming a woman.
3. I promise to always talk to you openly and honestly about relationships and sex, and always answer your questions.
4. I promise to help you take action, go on protests, participate in petitions, etc.
5. I promise to tell you about amazing and strong women in the world; Hélène Cixous, Germaine Greer, Inga Muscio, Caitlin Moran, Yoko Ono, Frida Kahlo, Lee Miller, Doris Lessing, Elizabeth Wurtzel, Marjane Satrapi, Banana Yoshimoto, Ana Matronic, Angelina Jolie, Julie Delpy, etc….
6. I promise to tell you about your family, and all the amazing people and stories within it.
7. I promise if you do decide to have children of your own to support you and make you as happy as possible through pregnancy and beyond and never judge your parenting.
I am going to post these promises to my daughter, addressed to her to open in 20 years time on 14/01/2033 (her 20th birthday) and make sure I have kept to my promises and continue to do so…
Love Venusina’s Mum, Freya x